September 23, 2013
EndNote X7 for both Windows and Macintosh are available for download on the ITS Download site. Please Contact ITS to have one of these installed on your University computer.
July 31, 2013
EndNote X7 is available for University computers. Contact ITS.
June 12, 2013
Updated app for iPad is available for $.99 until July 31, 2013.
June 10, 2013
ThomsonReuters announced the availability of EndNote X7 for Windows. Stay tuned for its availability at SLU.
January 31, 2013
See the EndNote for iPad tab in this guide for more information.
January 22, 2013
Before you synchronize your Local EndNote Libraries with EndNote Web, please read instructions and watch the video on the EndNote Web Sync Tab.
December 7, 2012
- EndNote X6 available for Windows and Mac. Download your copy here.
- After installation, check for update 6.0.1, and install.
- Look for iPad app coming in 2013
August 14, 2012
EndNote X6 coming in August/September
February 7, 2012
EndNote X5.0.1 update available for Windows. Get instructions here.
November 18, 2011
EndNote X5 available for the Mac. Download your copy here.
September 16, 2011
EndNote X5 for Macintosh released by publisher. It should be available to SLU soon.
September 1, 2011
EndNote X4.0.2 Update for Mac REQUIRED for MS Word 2011. If you have EndNote X4 or 4.0.1 installed on your Mac, get download and installation instructions here.
July 28, 2011
EndNote X5 for Windows is ready for download from the ITS Download site.
March 25, 2011
The PubMed connection file included with EndNote X4.0.2 for both Windows and Mac places the full journal name in the Journal field rather than the abbreviated journal name. A new connection file is now available to import journal names correctly. For more information, please click here.
EndNote X4.0.2 Update for Mac OS X is now available. Get the Mac update.
January 26, 2011
EndNote X4.0.2 Update for Windows® released today.
X4.0.2 update for Mac OS X available in early February, 2011
Get EndNote X4.0.2 Update or Get more information.
- Microsoft® Word 2010 64-bit compatibility.
- The Word autogroup no longer changes the current library selection when using Cite While You Write™.
- PDF imports now search PubMed to complete citation data with additional fields not found in CrossRef.
- Find Full Text now supports Serials Solutions links.
December 20, 2010
EndNote X4 for Mac is not compatible with Word 2011. A coming free update will fix Word 2011 compatibility. Visit http://endnote.com/enword2k7.asp for more information.
October 4, 2010
Update available for Windows users of MS Word 2003 & 2007 - EndNote X4.0.1 Update.
- Open EndNote.
- Go to the Help menu > EndNote Program Updates.
- Follow the instructions to complete the update.
Update for Windows users of MS Word 2010 will be available soon.
September 8, 2010
EndNote X4 is available for the Macintosh.
July 26, 2010
EndNote X4 for Mac will be available late Summer or early Fall 2010.
July 2, 2010 - EndNote X4 is released.
Coming late this summer to Saint Louis University. For more information, see Thomson Reuters Releases EndNote X4 for Windows.
December 21, 2009 - Notice for users of EndNote 8 through X2
- In many cases, bibliographic records with a publication date of 2010 or later will not import the year into these versions of EndNote.
- If this happens, add the year manually. See EndNote Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
- An update to correct this problem for EndNote X2 users is available as of January 7, 2010.
The most recent version of EndNote available commercially and at Saint Louis University for Windows and Mac is EndNote X7. Many procedures for EndNote X7 and EndNote X6 (and even EndNote X5) are the same. Where they differ, the tab will indicate the version illustrated.
EndNote is a citation management program that helps collect, organize, and manage references to articles, books, dissertations, Web pages, government documents and more. It has three functions:
It can assist you in citing resources in your papers and creating bibliographies for those papers in a citation style of your choice.
What's in this Guide
New Features in EndNote X7
New feature in EndNote X7 include
- Add citations and reference lists to PowerPoint slides (Windows only) with an EndNote plug-in.
- Add sub-headings in your bibliography when needed if you are using Microsoft Word.
- With background synchronization your work is continuously saved and always available in EndNote Web and accessible through your iPad.
- Enhanced PDF importing, file naming, and organizing options.
- New reference types such as Interview, Podcast, Conference Paper, and Press Release.
- More options for formatting with over 5,000 bibliographic reference styles.
New Features in EndNote X6
- New panel-display options allows you to customize the look of your EndNote display panels.
- New direct export format for PubMed simplieis importing records from PubMed.
- EndNoteSync allows you to use EndNote Web with Advanced Features to
- Access your Library from any computer
- Store up to 50,000 references and 5 gigabytes of data on EndNote Web
- Take advantage of Thomson Reuters Data Centers back-up feature.
- Provides user rating and tagging tools for references
- For a comparison of recent editions of EndNote, please click here.
New Features in EndNote X5
- PDF Viewer - Quick Edit Tab is now PDF & Quick Edit Tab
- Edit record and PDF in Quick Edit pane
- Search, highlight, and annotate PDF while inside EndNote
- Attach document files and images to EndNote Web and transfer them to your computer
- Storage limit of 1 gigabite and 25,000 references
- Field Substitution - When record has content in both DOI and URL fields, you can set which should be displayed in a reference.
- Example: Display DOI when both fields have content, but display URL when DOI field is empty.
- Find Reference Updates (References-->Find Reference Updates)
- EndNote will search online for any updated reference information available for the highlighted reference. Then, will highlight any differences, placing the references side-by-side for you to a) update empty fields, b) replace all content, or c) copy and paste any additional information.
- Find Duplicate References - now with auto-highlighting and side-by-side scrolling
- Two New Reference Types Added - Music and Dataset
- Two New Fields Added to Records - Article Number and NIHMSID
- Cite While You Write - Two new options for entering references
- Insert & Display as: Author (Year)
- Insert in Bibliography only
New Features in EndNote X4
- Import pdf files or whole folders of pdf files stored on your computer.
Pdf files must be publisher-created for this to work.
- Create Groups from other Groups.
New groups can now be created from existing groups.
- Edit a reference from the new Quick Edit Screen
The new Quick Edit screen becomes the third tab in the Tab Pane along with the Preview and Online Search tabs.
- Improved footnote formatting with customizable short forms.
Useful when the same citation is re-used. You can now control which fields will appear in footnotes for the second and later citations.
- Improved APA 6th style compatibility.
No need to download an update to the APA 6th style and now includes the ellipsis between the 6th and the last author when an article has more than seven authors.
- A combined Edit & Manage command.
Available when you are using Cite While you Write.
- Hyperlink between in-text citations & their related references in the bibliography.
- Collaborate more easily with EndNoteWeb
Transfer up to 10,000 references between EndNote Web and your desktop(s).