You may also go directly to You Tube to view these instructions about Synchronizing EndNote Desktop and Web Libraries-Revised.
First, watch the video from EndNote for detailed instructions provided in the box above.
EndNote Web Sync can ONLY be used with EndNote X7 or EndNote X6. However, Libraries created from EndNote 8 and above can be synchronized with EndNote Web.
EndNote Web will not synchronize when you are in the Online Only search mode.
Transfer from EndNote X5 and before and Sync from EndNote X7 or EndNote X6 used together with mixed versions can result in duplicates. Use Find Duplicates when this occurs to remove duplicates. To avoid this, be sure you are using EndNote X7 or EndNote X6 on any computer where you want to synchronize your local library with your EndNote Web Library.
Steps BEFORE you sychronize
1. If you have any references already in EndNote online, remove duplicates, place all in groups, and empty the trash.
2. Select the Local EndNote Library that you want to sync with EndNote online, remove duplicates, file all references in Groups, and empty trash.
3. You can only synchronize one EndNote Library with one EndNote online account at one time.
4. Set up your Sync Preferences in Edit-->Preferences-->Sync. See Setting Up EndNote online under the Setting Up EndNote Tab.
5. When ready, click the sync button located on the toolbar.
6a. OR set up EndNote X7 to synchronize automatically. Go to Edit-->Preferences-->Sync
6b. OR set up EndNote X6 to synchronize automatically at a pre-selected time. Go to Edit-->Preferences-->Sync
7. If you have any duplicates, it is faster and more efficient to remove duplicates from your local EndNote Library.
8. Synchronizing EndNote Libraries on more than one computer.
Once the first libray is synchronized to EncNote online, on the second computer, create a new, blank, EndNote Library.
Press the Sync Button on the toolbar. The new library will be a duplicate of the EndNote Online Library.
NOTE: References are retrieved FIRST from EndNote Online and transferred into your local EndNote Library before any changes in the local library are sent to EndNote Web.