There are a lot of books on painting in Pius XII Memorial Library. To navigate your way through our collection, you'll want to determine what aspect of painting you are interested in exploring. Books will vary between historical subjects, contemporary artists, techniques, etc. The following are some terms you can use in the Library Catalog to get started.
- Figure Painting
- Portrait Painting
- Painting and Catalogs
- Painting and Exhibitions
- Painting, Modern
- Painting - Technique
- Painting - 21st Century
- Landscape Painting
If you're not sure where to start the following are some good books to start with if you want to explore the subject of painting.
- Dawson W. Carr & Mark Leonard, Looking at Paintings: A Guide to Technical Terms, 1992.
- Donald Kuspit, The Rebirth of Painting in the Late Twentieth Century, 2000.
- Tomma Abts, et al, Vitamin P: New Perspectives in Painting, 2002.
- Elizabeth Mowry, Landscape Meditations: An Artist's Guide to Exploring Themes in Landscape Painting, 2008.
- Ralph Mayer, The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques, 1991.
- David Hockney, Secret Knowledge: Rediscovering the Lost Techniques of the Old Masters, 2001.