1. Publishers must send copies of books to the award committee members for consideration. Books not sent are not considered.
2. Most meet award criteria.
3. Quality of the writing.
4 Intended audience.
5. Credibility of author, especially for non-fiction books.
6. Authenticity of characters and settings in works of fiction.
7. Graphics and text support each other.
8. Politics and personalities of the award committee members.
9. Social and political climate at the time of the book award decisions, timeliness of topics.