Skip to main content
Discussion Questions for Breath, Eyes, Memory
- What role does mythology/storytelling play in this work?
- How does Danticat reveal Sophie's problems to us? What narrative techniques does she employ?
- Which family relationship is most critical for Sophie? What makes you think so?
- How does Sophie feel about New York? What about Haiti?
- What role do men play in this work?
- What is the role of ritual in Breath, Eyes, Memory?
- In what way is Sophie free at the end of the work?
- What insights does Sophie have about abuse as she works through therapy?
- Why is it important for Sophie to remember things, rather than forgetting them?
- What is the significance of the story of the lark? How does it differ from the other stories that Sophie remembers?