Panopto is the new lecture capture system at Saint Louis University. It replaces Tegrity, which was discontinued in 2019.
All Tegrity videos have been migrated to Panopto. Click on the tabs above for detailed information on how to find your migrated Tegrity videos in Panopto and how to move them to Panopto video folders.
All SLU users have access to Panopto. Faculty can record in course folders that are linked to Blackboard courses as well into a personal folder called 'My Folder.' Students can also record to their own 'My Folder' in Panopto.
SLU's Panopto site is where videos are located and can be viewed. Videos are recorded with the Panopto Recorder. The recorder is desktop software that can be downloaded and manually installed. It has already been installed on SLU classroom computers. A link to Panopto content needs to be added to Blackboard courses (or Canvas for the Med School and the School of Professional Studies), manually.
Note that Panopto content needs to be in the assigned Panopto content folder for the current semester. Instructors can move content, but there is no “copy” feature in Panopto for instructors. If an instructor needs a single video from a previous semester, open the Panopto Content folder where the recording exists.
1) select the recording needed by clicking the box that appears when you mouse over the thumbnail
2) go to settings and choose “Copy Session”
3) find “Edit” in the session information and find “Folder”
4) Using the pull down menu find the destination folder and select OK. That will move the copy to the new course folder.
5) To copy an entire course of Panopto content, contact the ATC
How to Merge and Copy Content in Panopto
Panopto Training Videos (you don't have to sign in to view the videos)
Updated: 01/26/21 by TCR
1. Through the Learning Management System integration in Blackboard or Canvas
2. Through the Panopto Recorder - desktop software with a shortcut icon
3. Directly via the web: slu.hosted.panopto.com to what Panopto refers to as the Video Library
The Learning Management System integration
All student and faculty users have the “Viewer” role by default. They can view videos but can't record or edit.
Faculty members need to become “Creators” to make recordings.
To become a “Creator,” the instructor needs to install the “Panotpo Content” tool in their Blackboard course.
Follow these instructions to connect Panopto to a course (see tabs above)
After you’ve completed that step, your account is associated with a Panopto folder and you are given the “Creator” role. Once you are a Creator you do not have to do this step again. You can log directly into the Panopto Recorder desktop recorder and be connected to your course(s).
The Panopto Recorder
The shortcut on the desktop in any lecture hall will initiate the recorder. Only “Creators” can record. Please confirm that you are a Creator before attempting to use the recorder (see above).
The first time you long into the Recorder on a computer, you will authenticate with Secure Auth, so have your cell phone handy to complete the two step authentication. (You will need to do this with each unique computer you use).
Once you are signed into the Panopto Recorder you will see a red record icon.
Clicking “Create New Recording” will prompt you to choose a folder from a dropdown menu.
It is a good idea to give your recording a unique name other than the default day and date. This will make it easier to locate and organize in the future.
Record your lecture. When finished, hit stop and the recording will be uploaded to Panopto. This may take some time depending on the length of your video. Do not shut down the computer right away. You will find the recording in your course and in the Video Library. You will receive an email alerting you that the video is ready.
The Video Library (Panopto web site)
The Video Library is a powerful web based tool to help organize and manage your recordings and those that others have shared with you. You can access the Library by logging in on a web browser at http://slu.hosted.panopto.com. Authenticate with your SLU credentials.
This covers the basic functionality of Panopto but there many more powerful features.
We highly recommend attending on site training at SLU. For more information contact the ITS team in the Academic Tech Commons at Pius Library or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Edited 6/27/19 by TCR
Instructions for Installing the Panopto Recorder from the SLU Software Center
1. Go to Start button
2. Search for Software Center
3. Open Software Center from list of search results
4. Under the search bar select “Find additional applications from the Application Catalog”
5. In the Application Catalog use the search box to find Panopto
6. Select Install
7. Select "yes" you are sure you want to install the selected application"
After the Panopto recorder has been installed, you need to connect your Blackboard course to Panopto. This is called 'provisioning.' (Note that starting with summer 2019 all courses have been batch provisioned.)
8. Login to MySLU and click the Tools link
9. Click on Blackboard Learn
10. Click into the class that you want to work in
11. From your course Home Page mouse over the Tools button at the top of the page
12. Click on More Tools at the bottom of the blue pop up menu
13. Click on the Panopto Course Tool Application
14. On the next screen, accept the default settings and click Submit
15. You will now have a Panopto Content link on your Home Page
16. Note: if your course is summer 2019 or later, you can skip to number 19
Click on the new Panopto Content link. If the course has not been provisioned (Panopto's term for setting up a folder to hold your course recordings) by Panopto, you will see this screen
17. Click the Configure button and then click the Add Course to Panopto button
18. On the next screen, click the Return to Course button
19. When you click the Panopto Content button again you are now taken to a page with a Create button
20. Click the Create button and then click Record a new session
21. You are now ready to record a lecture with Panopto
22. For personal PCs you can click the 'Download Panopto' link and install the recorder at this point.
Instructors need to create a Panopto Content link in their Blackboard course if they want to use the tool. This process establishes a link between the instructor and Panopto, allowing them to record and share videos.
1. Login to MySLU and click the Tools link
2. Click on the Blackboard Learn tile
3. From My Courses, click into the course that you want to work in
4. From your course Home Page, mouse over the Tools button at the top of the page
5. Click on More Tools at the bottom of the blue pop up menu
6. Click on the Panopto Course Tool Application
7. On the next screen, accept the default settings and click Submit
8. You will now have a Panopto Content link on your Home Page
9. Click on the new Panopto Content link. If the course has not been provisioned (Panopto's term for setting up a folder to hold your course recordings) by Panopto, you will see this screen. (Note that courses from summer 2019 on have been batch provisioned so you can skip to step 12.)
10. Click the Configure button and then click the Add Course to Panopto button
11. On the next screen, click the Return to Course button. The Panopto Content link will be visible on your Home Page.
12. When you click the Panopto Content button again you are now taken to a page with a course folder and a Create button, which is what you will use to record a new video.
13. Click the Create button and then click Record a new session
Edited 6/27/19 by TCR
1. Log in to slu.hosted.panopto.com using your SLU login credentials.
2. From the Panopto home screen, click on "My Folder" on the upper left side of the page. "My Folder" is similar to the sandbox folder in Tegrity.
Note: If you do not see "My Folder" you need to connect to Panopto through Blackboard or Canvas (see tabs above) at least once. That is what lets Panopto know that you are an instructor and have the ability to create, edit and share videos for a class.
3. Within "My Folder" you will see a folder called "Tegrity Content."
4. Click into "Tegrity Content" to see the videos that were migrated from Tegrity.
5. If you do not see a folder titled “Tegrity Content" or would like assistance with moving your migrated content into a Panopto course folder, please email the ATC team at email@example.com.
1. Find your migrated Tegrity videos (see tabs above).
2. Check the box next to the video(s) that you want to move to a Panopto course folder. After you select a video, you will see several buttons appear at the top of your Panopto page.
3. Click the 'Move' button as shown above. You will then see a drop down menu. Click the downward arrow to see your list of Panopto course folders.
4. Select a Panopoto course folder from the list that appears. (Everyone will have a different list.)
5. After you've selected a course folder (in this case, a test course is chosen as seen in the blue text), Click the blue 'Move' button. This moves the video to the new folder and it will no longer appear in your Tegrity folder. You can now share the link or embed the video in a Blackboard course.
6. If you need assistance, you can send an email to the ATC team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are links to videos with answers to frequently asked questions about Panopto.
1. How do I download and install Panopto for Windows Computers?
2. How do I download and install Panopto for Mac?
3. How do I record with Panopto for Windows
4. How do I record with Panopto for Mac
5. How do I use the Panopto iOS application on an iPhone?
6. How do I use the Panopto Android Application?
7. How do I edit a video? - note: this links to a folder with multiple videos
10. How do I integrate a Panopto quiz into the Blackboard Grade Center?
11. How do I use Panopto for student assignments? See tabs above
12. How do I edit closed captions in Panopto?
13. What if my video fails to upload? Contact 977-4000 and open a ticket. Have them escalate it to tier 2 for troubleshooting.
Updated 4/14/20 by TCR
If you are an instructor, you can have students submit video assignments in Blackboard.
Here is a link to a video tutorial on how to set up a video assignment.
Panopto video assignments create a link for students to get to Panopto and to record their videos. One thing to note is that the link is only one word in a lot of text. That word is "here" in step one. It also does not explain what the Panopto video library is. That is the students' personal Panopto folder that they get to when the click "here."
Here is the text that is automatically generated in a Panopto video assignment:
Step 1: Prepare your video in Panopto video library. If it's not ready, click here to navigate to your personal folder in Panopto.
Step 2: Videos are submitted as part of assignments via clicking on "Write Submission".
Step 3: In the text editor expand "Mashups" and select "Panopto Student Video Submission".
Step 4: If your submission is not in the default personal folder select the folder where your submission is stored.
Step 5: Once at the folder your submission is located select the submission and click "Insert".
Step 6: Once your submission has been added to the text editor add any extra information and submit.
If the student video is a speech or video introduction, as opposed to a PowerPoint presentation, using the Panopto app on their phone might be easier. They can download the app for Android or Apple iOS. There is a log in screen when they first open the app that does not work. They have to click Enter URL in the top right corner of the app and then enter: slu.hosted.panopto.com. Then they click the 'sign in' to use their SLU credentials.
With the Panopto app they can upload videos that they have recorded on their phone directly into their assignment folders.
Email email@example.com with any questions.