PubMed is the:
PubMed vs. MEDLINE vs. PMC
PubMed has three main components:
- MEDLINE is the largest component of PubMed and consists primarily of citations from journals selected for MEDLINE; articles indexed with MeSH (Medical Subject Headings). Citations only; articles are available via
- PMC is a full text archive that includes articles from journals reviewed and selected by NLM for archiving (current and historical), as well as individual articles collected for archiving in compliance with funder policies. Open to the Public.
- Bookshelf is a collections of citations for books with some individual chapters available.
Be sure to access PubMed via the SLU link--otherwise, your searches will not be tied to the SLU collections.
- use Advanced Search for Boolean and/or for nested searching
- use MeSH link at the footer of the Advanced Search to utilize MeSH
- Results default to Best Match (Relevance)
- There is no wildcard function
- " " searches turn off automatic term mapping