The EndNote Library Window
with Four Panes
Groups Pane - displays all of the various groupings of references available. There are several types of groups, some permanent, some temporary. and some user created.
Smart Groups are used to store references matching a particular search strategy. When any references are added to the Library that match the criteria of the Smart Group, they are automatically added to the appropriate Smart Group.
- Online Search Groups contain the results of the most recent search done through EndNote for each database listed.
References Pane displays all of the references in a highlight group or the references just imported from a search.
Tabs Pane displays
1) A window with the highlighted Reference displayed, field by field under the Reference Tab, where you can edit the reference;
2) A Preview of the highlighted reference in your chosen style in the Reference Pane under the Preview Tab;
3) The attached PDF under the Attached PDF's Tab; in version X5 & X6, search, highlight, and annotate PDF files that are attached to the reference.
Search Panel - at the top of the Window in EndNote X6 - This can be hidden by clicking the hide search panel just above it.
1) Provides the search criteria for searching from within EndNote or the search criteria for searching other databases such as the Library Catalog.
The groups pane can be displayed in 3 different "search modes".
Integrated Library & Online Search Mode
|Local Library Mode||Online Search Mode|